Serious car accidents come out of the blue, catching victims off guard and leaving them unsure of what to do.
When your next steps are critical, the Law Offices of Richard R. Kennedy can take action and handle every aspect of a car accident case.
Generations of Louisianans have depended on our Lafayette, LA, practice for professional, thorough, and aggressive representation.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation Today
Time is of the essence after a car accident. The longer you wait to act, the more opportunity there is for evidence to slip away. The Law Offices of Richard R. Kennedy offer free, no-obligation consultations to clients in Lafayette, New Iberia, and other Louisiana communities so you can quickly learn how to protect your right to full and fair compensation after an accident.
There's no need to worry about costs. Our car accident lawyers handle personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you won't owe us a cent unless we attain compensation for your losses.
We Fight to Win Fair Compensation
Legal deadlines, medical bills, lost wages, and the pain that lingers after an accident can build up and feel overwhelming. The Law Offices of Richard R. Kennedy in Lafayette, Louisiana, offer the peace of mind that comes with knowing you have diligent, committed car accident attorneys on your side. Our injury lawyers, Richard R. Kennedy and Richard R. Kennedy III are personally committed to success in every case they take. They have won millions on behalf of injured clients, such as a 1.7 million jury verdict for a collision between two 18-wheelers.
If you're interested in learning more about how our noted car accident attorneys can help you, contact our law firm either by leaving a message online or calling:
The Time to File a Lawsuit Is Short
Unfortunately, the statute of limitations is short in Louisiana. In most cases, you have only one year from the date of a car accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. This is why our car accident lawyers begin work immediately, personally taking on your injury claim and meticulously building a case.
What to Do After a Car Accident
Types of Car Accidents
The personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Richard R. Kennedy in Lafayette handle a variety of scenarios when it comes to car accidents and property damage, including:
How Is Liability Determined?
Some Cases Are Clear-Cut
In some types of accidents, it is almost always the other driver's fault and liability is usually clear-cut. This includes rear-end collisions and accidents caused by drivers making a left turn in front of you. If the other driver was driving while intoxicated (DWI), they will likely be assigned all the liability in a car accident.
Others Are Not
Liability is not as clear-cut in other cases, and it often turns out that both parties are partially to blame for an accident. Louisiana law uses a pure comparative negligence system in which a certain percentage of blame is assigned to all the parties involved in the accident. For example, let's assume you were in a two-car accident and it was ruled you were 20% at fault and the other driver was 80% to blame. If you suffered $100,000 in damages, the defendant would owe you $80,000 in damages.
In addition to filing a case of negligence against the other driver, our lawyers can also determine if other factors played a part in the accident. If they did, it may be possible to hold more parties liable for your losses. For example, we can investigate to determine if a defective part caused the accident or made the outcome worse. In that case, we can file a suit against the manufacturer.
More 5-Star Reviews From Our Clients
Richard is a fantastic attorney! He and his staff were incredible about keeping me well informed about my case and making sure that I got the absolute best settlement possible.View on Google
Honest, straight forward attorney that explained everything about the legal process concerning my case. I never felt pressured to accept any offer that was made on my case, I was allowed to decide what I would accept. If I ever needed an attorney again, he would be the one I would choose. I trust him so much I have recommended him to others that I know.View on Google